Today I'm presenting my 5 favorite tricks for Facebook marketing. Over time, I will keep updating this list so that regular visits to my website are definitely worthwhile 😉
1. create custom audiences based on Facebook group participants
Facebook groups are undoubtedly the focal point of a major marketing trend of the past 12 months. But how can an advertiser target the users of a particular fan page via Facebook ads? Unfortunately, there is currently no ad placement in Facebook groups, but this will change in the coming months. Until then, however, there is a workaround: Facebook group participants can be extracted and used to create a custom audience, which can then be set as the target group for the campaign.
Attention: This approach is questionable under data protection law (at least if you are advertising within the EU). You should therefore seek the advice of a data protection expert before using this method.
To automate the extraction of the necessary information, I suggest the use of Grouply.io before. This is a Chrome extension that extracts the existing participants after selecting the respective group.
First select the desired group before selecting the "Members" subcategory within this group. Now Grouply comes into play and extracts the necessary content!
In the settings, you can now specify which information is required for the group participants to be extracted. For a clean custom audience, we need at least the first name and surname. Please note that Grouply will not extract people who do not contain the necessary information in their profile (position, company, etc.). For this reason, it is advisable to limit the information to first name and surname.
If you also want to filter out the e-mail address of the group participants, you can forward the collected information to Hunter.io, where you will finally receive the respective e-mail address.
2. facebook fanpage - generate likes
Would you like to increase the number of likes on your Facebook fan page? If you regularly post posts that generate likes from people who don't yet follow your page, then I have something for you.
- Select a post that has generated a few likes.
- Click here on the "Number of likes".
- You will now see the people who have liked the post. You will also be informed whether these people have already liked your fan page. ("Like this" or "Invite")
- Now you can invite people to like your Facebook fan page.
- If you want this to happen automatically, display the entire list of people who have liked the post.
- Then click with the right mouse button on an element of the fan page and select "Console" under "Examine". Scroll down to the bottom and insert the following code:
And all the people who like a post will automatically receive an invitation to like your fan page.
3. social proof through page contributions
By using social proof (likes, shares of the ad), we can make our ads more interesting, which then achieve a higher relevance score and therefore also lead to better results. There are numerous ways to increase the number of likes, comments and shares of an ad. The first step is always to publish a post on the Facebook fan page that can also be promoted. Once the post has generated enough attention, we can use it for a conversion or traffic campaign. To do this, we first select "Promote existing post" at ad level. Then, under "Select a page post", we select the desired post that will ultimately be promoted.
Please note that you can no longer edit the desired ad without losing the social proof of your ad.
4. value based lookalike audiences
Personally, I am a big fan of lookalike campaigns and try to implement them as quickly as possible in client projects. In mid-2017, there was a relatively unnoticed update that now allows advertisers to assign a value (purchase amount) to each customer in a Custom Audience. This means that Facebook is more likely to broadcast your campaign to people in a lookalike audience who have a high customer value for you. The specified customer value should always be transferred in a uniform currency. Value-based lookalike audiences are therefore very suitable for online stores that transfer their customer data, including order value, to Facebook.
Proceed as follows:
- In the Ads Manager, select the "Target groups" tab and then click on "Create target group -> Custom audiences".
- Now we select the customer file to create a custom audience and then "Customer file with runtime value".
- From now on, the process is similar to the creation of conventional Custom Audiences, except that the column with the customer value still needs to be labeled.
- After generating the custom audience with a source audience that is large enough, it can now be selected for the value-based lookalike audiences.
5. optimization of the campaign budget (budget optimization)
At the end of 2017, Facebook published a function to optimize the campaign budget.
Before this function existed, each ad group was allocated a certain amount regardless of its performance, so advertisers had to constantly monitor the different ad groups and adjust them manually depending on their performance. Now, Facebook is called the cross-ad group campaign budget and Facebook then takes over the optimization of the budget allocation based on the specified target action (traffic, conversion, leads, etc.).
The following chart illustrates the optimized budget allocation:
Instead of three ad groups, each with a budget of €10, Facebook is given a campaign budget of €30 so that the Facebook algorithm can flexibly decide which ad group to allocate the budget to. This is particularly helpful with a large number of ad groups (e.g. when testing different target groups).