If you want to reach as many customers as possible with your product online, you can hardly avoid using the Amazon marketplace as a sales platform. Compared to the creation and especially the marketing of your own online shop, the effort is minimal and probably the biggest advantage: More than 44 million potential customers are already there and that from day 1 of the activation of your offers on the marketplace. These conditions are impossible to reach even for the best-run online shop.
However, despite the numerous users of the Amazon platform, sales do not normally generate themselves. Even in the case of well-researched niche products, which receive respectable impressions and sales due to a lack of competition, it usually doesn’t take long before other merchants discover this niche for themselves, because the marketplace is constantly changing. Sooner or later, your product will have to compete with similar products and then you will be dependent on gaining an advantage – through Amazon SEO.
If you know search engine optimization mainly from Google, it also plays a role at Amazon, which is still often underestimated. As long as this is the case, anyone who takes the time to seriously look into the subject of Amazon SEO can generate a decisive advantage from it.
In this article I will discuss the various tools that can help you to successfully optimize your product listings. These are divided into free and paid tools. The article should give you a detailed overview of which tools are worthwhile and in which areas of Amazon SEO they can support you.
What is Amazon SEO?
You will get a really detailed answer to this question already in this article. It explains in great detail what Amazon SEO is about, which areas play a role and by which measures you can noticeably improve your organic ranking in Amazon’s search results pages. So, here is just a short summary of the most important aspects.
The factors that play a role in Amazon search engine optimization are divided into direct and indirect ranking factors. Direct ranking factors have a direct influence on the ranking of your product in relation to a search query. Indirect ranking factors, on the other hand, have an effect on the direct factors and thus lead via detours to an improved ranking. For example, the shipping method does not directly influence the ranking of a product, but it does strongly influence the conversion rate. A high conversion rate for a specific search query in turn has a direct effect on the ranking. The most important factors are listed below:
Direct ranking factors – Amazon SEO
- Sales history: The number of sales related to a search query have a direct influence on the ranking of the product. The user experience is measured and evaluated on the basis of the sales generated (compared to competing products).
- Returns rate: The number of returns again reflects the customer satisfaction with the product.
- Keywords: An important point that will play a role in this article. Based on the keywords in the product listing (title, attributes and general search terms) the algorithm decides whether your product is relevant for a search query. To make sure that your product is relevant for every search query and is displayed to the customer, a keyword search is essential.
- Conversion rate: The perfect indicator for measuring user experience. If the conversion rate with regard to a keyword is higher compared to competing products, this is rewarded with a better positioning in the rankings.
- Click-through rate: A higher click-through rate (CTR) than the competitors also leads to a better ranking. The click-through rate varies according to the search query and can be increased, for example, by special offers or the prime logo.
- Availability: This point is simple. If there are no products in stock, the product is excluded from the ranking.
- Selling price: The price of a product can be considered both as a direct and indirect factor. On the one hand, it can directly influence the ranking, but it also has a strong impact on CTR, sales history and return rate.
Indirect ranking factors – Amazon SEO
- product pictures: High-resolution, attractive images have a positive effect on the click-through rate and conversion rate. Meaningful images lead to more sales transactions.
- Shipping method: Products shipped via Amazon Prime enjoy an increased conversion rate and CTR. Due to the increased number of visitors, the conversion rate is rewarded twice.
- Reviews: Product reviews are of utmost importance and have a significant impact on click-through and conversion rates. Mostly it depends less on the number than on a good average rating.
- Buy box: The buy box has a strong influence on the conversion rate, because a product without a buy box is bought significantly less often than one with a buy box. It is therefore particularly important to regularly check the buy box share.
- Seller ratings: The seller ratings are not tied to a product, but evaluate the service of the seller. Especially with more expensive products, an unconvincing seller rating can deter customers from buying.
- A+ content: A+ and EBC content offers the possibility to highlight the special features of the product and brand. Used sensibly and attractively, the content can have a positive influence on the conversion rate.
- Advertisements: Especially with new products, advertisements can boost sales history.
Amazon SEO Tools
In the following I would like to present a selection of Amazon SEO tools that can be helpful in search engine optimization of product listings. You will find out for which areas the respective tool can be used, the price of the tool and an explanation of its use. Tips and hints should also give you an overview of which tools are suitable for which purposes.
Free Amazon SEO Tools
We start with the (mainly) free tools. Some tools offer additional features for a one-time payment or a subscription. I will point this out at the appropriate place.
SEO area: Keyword research
Price: Free of charge
Explanation: Amazon Auto-Suggest simply means the automatic completion of the search query at Amazon. If a search term is entered in the search field, Amazon automatically suggests further specifications of the term that are frequently searched for. Suggested terms matching the product can be included in the keyword collection. To obtain further suggestions, the main keyword can be entered with any letter of the alphabet (e.g. “notebook a”, “notebook b”, etc.).
Tip: This method is well suited to get a rough overview. However, for a comprehensive keyword search, the following tools generate similar results with less manual effort.
SEO area: keyword research, product monitoring, competition analysis
Price: Free of charge
Explanation: Sonar is a SEO tool from Sellics, which is explicitly tailored for Amazon. Sonar provides a large database of search terms that are searched on Amazon. In fact, only Amazon is taken into account in order to reflect the search behaviour of the platform as accurately as possible. The tool offers the following four different approaches to keyword research:
- Keyword: After entering a keyword, a list of “similar keywords” is displayed. In practice, however, the output is more like Amazon Auto-Suggest, i.e. the keyword entered with popular additional search terms. The list is sorted by an estimation of the search volume (5 bars mean maximum search volume, no bar means no search volume). It is worth using this procedure instead of Amazon’s manual auto-completion, as it saves effort and also presents a rough estimate of the search volume.
- Advanced: This setting is useful for finding synonyms and similar search terms. If you enter the search term “notebook”, for example, you will receive suggestions such as “diary”, “bullet journal” and “sketchbook”. These are also sorted in descending order of search volume.
- ASIN: This function is suitable for finding out for which keywords a successful competitor product ranks on the first results page. However, it can also be used to check which positive keywords are ranked for your own product. In this way, the current state of the keyword optimization can be (regularly) checked. To use the function, the ASIN of a product is entered into the search field. Then the list of positive keywords for the corresponding product appears, sorted by search volume.
- Translate: The setting Translate can be used if a product is to be offered on a marketplace in another language. In this case a keyword can be entered and the input language and the desired marketplace can be selected. For the entry “Notizbuch” in german we receive the proposals “Journal”, “Notebook”, “Bullet Journal” and “Sketchbook” for the US marketplace.
Tip: The list displayed is only limited. However, the entire list can be downloaded free of charge as a clearly arranged CSV file for each Sonar function.
SEO area: keyword research (Keyword Tool Pro: CPC data for advertisements, competition analysis)
Price: Free of charge, extended possibilities with Keyword Tool Pro subscription (3 levels: Pro Basic – $69/month, Pro Plus – $79/month, Pro Business – $159/month)
Explanation: The Keyword Tool is based on Amazon Auto-Complete and basically provides the results in a list that would be generated by manually entering a search term with every letter of the alphabet. To use the tool, first select the desired search engine above, in our case Amazon. Then a keyword is entered and country and language are selected to the right. Now the list of keyword suggestions is displayed. By clicking on “Copy/Export all” at the bottom right of the screen, the list can be exported as a CSV or Excel file. In contrast to the Sonar Tool, the list is generated without additional information such as the search volume.
Tip: Whether a subscription to the Keyword Tool Pro version for Amazon SEO is worthwhile should be carefully considered. It is advertised with the fact that up to 2x as many keywords are output as with the free version. In addition, you get insights into search volume, keyword trends, CPC data and competition. However, the additional parameters, such as CPC and competition data, are tailored to Google and therefore cannot be transferred 1:1 to Amazon.
SEO area: keyword research, competitor analysis, optimization proposals, rating alert
Price: Currently free beta version
Explanation: The Sistrix Marketplace module offers many different functions that can help you optimize your listing. For the tool, a lot of marketplace data is collected and stored in a database. Ranking and keyword data are, according to its own statement, continuously updated.
A useful function, which is so far only known from paid tools like Amalyze, is the analysis of a listing for optimization potential. Dealing with the most important SEO measures and additionally the Amazon style guides can be very time-consuming. After analysing your listing, the Marketplace module automatically compiles optimization suggestions based on possible SEO measures and the style guides. Among other things, product description, ratings, product images, titles and attributes are taken into account.
The Amazon Keyword Tool of the Marketplace Module also provides helpful information on additional search terms as well as for each search term the number of hits, average price, average rating and average number of ratings.
The tool’s rating alert notifies you when a product you are monitoring (your own or a competitor’s) has received a new review. You can select the type of review you want to be notified for (e.g. only if it is less than 2 stars).
The tool also contains a function for competitive analysis. If you enter any seller name in the search (e.g. your own), the strongest competitors of this seller will be displayed.
Tip: Currently there is no comparable comprehensive Amazon SEO tool that is offered for free. It is therefore worth taking the chance and registering for the beta version of the tool while it is still available. To register, you have to enter a few small details here and then wait for the manual activation of your beta account.
SEO area: keyword research, product monitoring
Price: Free of charge
Explanation: The Amalyze Keyword Plugin is compatible with the Google Chrome browser and can help you find new keywords for your own product. On the one hand, the own listing can be checked by examining whether the ASIN for a certain keyword ranks. Additionally, competing products can be analyzed for keywords that you can adopt in your listing. The presentation of keywords is possible both as (exportable) list and as Word Cloud.
Tip: The plugin can be particularly helpful to monitor an already performed listing optimization and, if necessary, to expand and adjust. A one-time optimization is usually not enough, because competitors also continue to develop. With the tool, the current status of the keyword optimization of own and third-party products can be checked at any time and with just a few clicks, so that the need for action can be identified early on.
Amazon Brand Analytics
SEO area: keyword research, competition analysis
Price: Free for Amazon sellers with own registered trademark
Explanation: We have already dedicated a separate article to the Amazon Brand Analytics Tool here. There you will find a detailed explanation of how to use the tool and how to evaluate the data obtained. Brand Analytics provides the brand owner with two reports. One of them are the “Amazon keywords “. Behind this is a database with numerous search terms, sorted by search frequency rank. Additionally, it is possible to actively search for keywords whose popularity is to be determined. Another exciting feature is that the top 3 rankings of organic products for the respective keyword are also displayed – including click-through rate and turnover rate.
The second reporting is “Article comparison”, where we get an overview of the top 5 competitor products for each ASIN offered. The comparison is based on how often the competitive product was viewed by customers who also viewed their own product on the same day.
Tip: Amazon Brand Analytics is so far the only tool presented here that provides data on click-through and conversion rates. This is very useful for focusing on keywords with a high conversion rate. The evaluation of the search volume can also play a role in the selection of relevant keywords. Information on search volume is not included in most free tools or is located behind a payment barrier. The use of this tool can therefore only be recommended to brand owners.
Paid Amazon SEO Tools
Next, I would like to introduce you to some tools that are subject to a fee. The range of functions of the following tools is a little bit bigger than the free ones, because they offer help in several SEO areas.
SEO area: keyword research, competition analysis, ranking monitoring, ads, performance tracking, rating alert, price development, buy box analysis
Price: The price varies according to the chosen edition (Seller, Vendor or Agency), the estimated annual turnover on Amazon and the chosen contract period. The prices can be found here.
Explanation: Sellics offers three different editions: The Seller Edition, for vendors using Seller Central, the Vendor Edition, for vendors logging in via Vendor Central and the Agency Edition for agencies dealing with Amazon marketing. Depending on the edition selected, the tool includes the following features:
- Keyword Research & Tracker Tool: The Sellics database covers over 180 million keywords. The tool allows a direct comparison with the best-placed products and a daily fully automated recording of keyword rankings and sales rankings.
- Amazon PPC Tool: With this function, Sellics offers a data-based decision support for advertising spending, bidding automation that takes over routine tasks in campaign creation and a search function for keywords relevant to the campaign. The performance of the campaigns is monitored and compared with regard to the different ad formats (sponsored products and sponsored brands). Additionally, ads can be paused at times of day when the probability of purchase is low.
- Amazon Profit Dashboard: This function provides a fully automatic calculation of the profit on Amazon, taking into account Amazon fees, shipping costs, PPC fees, etc. The assortment analysis shows the development of your products and highlights the bestsellers.
- Rating Management: The alert notifies you immediately when a new rating or customer question is received. This allows you to react immediately to the feedback.
- Competition analysis module: The module allows you to monitor sales and turnover of top competitors and changes to their listings. In addition, it is possible to monitor the price development. With the Buy Box Monitor it becomes clear at a glance which products you do not own a Buy Box share of and which measures are necessary to change this.
- Product research tool: This function is useful if you plan to expand your assortment. The tool can be used to analyze competitors and niches.
- Inventory software: This function helps you to keep track of your inventory so that you can reorder goods in time before they go out of stock.
Tip: With Sellics you get a really comprehensive tool with many useful functions. The price graduation can be both an advantage and a disadvantage here. Retailers with low annual sales can benefit from the lower price, but they should also consider which of Sellics’ many tools and functions are relevant for their purposes and whether a subscription is worthwhile. Sellers with high annual sales also pay a higher price for the tool. If you are unsure whether Sellics is the right choice, you should first take a look at the following tools and compare the (relevant) features and prices.
SEO area: competitive analysis, keyword research, tracking, optimization proposals, rating analysis, advertisements
Price: Basic (monthly: 149€, semi-annual: 774€, annual: 1188€, 48 hours trial: 9€)
Explanation: Amalyze offers every user the same range of functions. The following functions are included in the tool:
- Competition analysis: With Amalyze, detailed product research, product analysis, product monitoring, salesperson research and market analysis are possible.
- Keyword research: Amalyze monitors more than 24 million keywords and displays which product is displayed for which keyword and in which position in the search results. The list of keywords can be exported to a file or directly to the Seller Central. Additionally, keywords can be tracked. This allows you to observe, monitor and analyze the position of different keywords of your products (or of competing products).
- Listing optimization: Amalyze analyzes an entered ASIN regarding SEO measures and the Amazon style guides. Subsequently, suggestions for listing improvements are made, the implementation of which can improve the ranking of the product.
- Review analysis: In addition, the ratings of a product are also retrieved and can then be evaluated, for example, according to historical development. In this way, it is quickly recognizable whether and at what point in time there has been a significant improvement or deterioration in the ratings.
- Sponsored Product Ads: The function shows for an ASIN whether ads are actually placed for all booked keywords, for which keywords the competitors place ads and what the competitive situation of the keywords looks like.
- Niche and category analysis: These analysis functions help to find profitable niches and categories.
Tip: Amalyze is strongly focused on product analysis and monitoring. Extensive data on entered ASINs can be collected and evaluated. Accordingly, Amalyze is particularly suitable for monitoring the performance of your own products as well as those of competing products.
SEO area: potential analysis, keyword research, ranking monitoring, valuation analysis, competitor analysis, optimization proposals, buy box analysis
Price: 99€/month (discounts are available for longer contract periods), free 14-day trial
Explanation: The ShopDoc Amazon tool offers extensive functions to help you with SEO optimization. The following functions are included:
- Potential analysis: The analysis shows, among other things, the potential, maximum turnover of a product as well as keywords to which competitors rank but your own product does not yet rank. In addition, keywords are displayed which are already used in the listing but whose full potential has not yet been exhausted.
- Keyword ranking tracker: The tool records when the keywords used in the ranking increase, decrease or remain constant.
- Review-Monitoring: In the Review Monitor you can have all reviews of your products displayed for specific periods of time. This allows you to react quickly to negative reviews in particular.
- Turnover radar: The radar provides information about turnover, number of sales and price fluctuations of the competition.
- Controlling: With this function you receive a gross profit calculation, which takes all costs such as Amazon fees, VAT, etc. into account.
- ASIN Analysis: This function analyses which factors of your listing have not been optimized so far. With the help of the optimization suggestions you can improve the ranking of your products.
- ShopDoc KeySniffer: The KeySniffer compares your ASIN with those of your competitors with regard to the keyword rankings. This gives you an overview of which keywords need to be pushed to overtake your competitors.
- Inventory Monitor: With this function you can keep track of your inventory and find out which products need to be reordered before you get “out-of-stock”.
- ShopDoc Keyfinder: The Keyfinder is a keyword research tool that allows you to find relevant keywords quickly and effectively. It also shows the PPC competition of keywords, so the tool also has a benefit for your ads.
- Buy Box Analysis: Get warnings of Buy Box loss and keep track of your Buy Box ownership.
- Product research: This feature helps you to find niches and potential new products.
Tip: ShopDoc shows great similarities to the Sellics tool. Depending on your annual turnover, it may therefore be worthwhile to try ShopDoc first, for example with the free trial version, before deciding on one of the tools.
SEO area: listing optimization, keyword research, competitive analysis
Price: Free Plan (limited trial): $0, Platinum Plan: $97/month, Diamond Plan: $197, Elite Plan: $397/month (Discounts apply for annual payment)
Explanation: The Helium 10 Suite combines many tools useful for Amazon optimization. The following is therefore only a selection of the most interesting tools:
- Black Box: This tool is useful for identifying profitable products and niches. The database contains information on over 450 million products.
- Trendster: Find out all about seasonal trends and make sure you generate maximum sales all year round.
- Xray: Xray is a browser extension for Google Chrome. It includes a profit calculator, an ASIN grabber to help you create ads, a review downloader that allows you to collect and analyze reviews, and a stock display that shows the stock levels of certain offers at Amazon.
- Cerebro: Cerebro is a keyword tool to find out for which keywords competitors rank (organic and PPC). The tool should help to orientate on the keyword strategy of the competitors.
- Keyword Tracker: With the Tracker you can monitor your own ranking position for the organic and PPC keywords. So, it quickly becomes clear when there is a need for action.
- Magnet²: The tool helps you to find relevant keywords for your listing. You will receive additional information such as search volume and the number of competing products.
- Index Checker: With the Index Checker you can easily check whether a product has been indexed by Amazon for a certain keyword and ranks accordingly for this keyword.
- Scribbles: The tool helps you with the listing optimization by checking, among other things, whether you use as many relevant keywords as possible and that you adhere to the restrictions of the text fields.
Tip: Helium 10 is a collection of different tools for product research, keyword research, product launch, listing optimization and maintenance. Accordingly, there are several tools for one main topic, which can lead to overlapping functions in keyword research, for example. At the same time, however, the individual tools are tailored to very specific needs, so that the suite certainly provides a number of tools for everyone, which offer exactly what they are looking for. If you are interested in Helium 10, it makes sense to take a look at all the individual tools and check them for their relevance.
Conclusion to Amazon SEO Tools
In this article we have now introduced some tools that are helpful for Amazon SEO. It is difficult to give a general recommendation regarding the tools, as the decision depends strongly on the purpose of use and willingness to pay. If you are looking for free optimization tools, you should simply try out the free tools presented here. Especially the Sistrix Marketplace module is worth a try, because its functional range is rather in the class of the payable alternatives. Regarding the tools with costs, it is recommended to deal exactly with the individual functions and to weigh up which of them are relevant for your own purposes. You can also use the test versions (if available) to get an impression of the tool.